Sabalenka’s Late-Night Heroics Propel Her to US Open Fourth Round

Sabalenka’s Late-Night Heroics Propel Her to US Open Fourth Round

From Slow Start to Dominant Victory: Sabalenka’s Resilience Shines Through

In the early hours of Saturday morning, Aryna Sabalenka proved why she’s one of the fiercest competitors in tennis. The No. 2 seed overcame a sluggish start and a historic late-night schedule to defeat Ekaterina Alexandrova 2-6, 6-1, 6-2, securing her place in the US Open’s fourth round.

The match, which became the latest-starting in US Open history, kicked off at 12:07 a.m. after a series of marathon matches earlier in the day. Sabalenka struggled to find her rhythm in the opening set, with Alexandrova capitalizing on the Belarusian’s slow start to secure a 6-2 lead in just over half an hour.

Sabalenka’s Turnaround: But Sabalenka, known for her powerful baseline game and relentless determination, quickly turned things around. She stormed through the second set, breaking Alexandrova’s serve early and winning ten consecutive games to establish a 5-0 lead in the third set. The momentum shift was palpable, and Sabalenka never looked back, ultimately closing out the match at 1:48 a.m., tying for the second-latest finish for a women’s match in the tournament’s history.

Sabalenka
Aryna Sabalenka

“I was happy that I was able to stay focused, no matter what, and I was able to turn around this match,” Sabalenka said in her post-match interview. “She just crushed it in the first set, but once I found my game, I knew I could come back.”

Ekaterina Alexandrova
Ekaterina Alexandrova

Alexandrova, who had broken Sabalenka’s serve twice in the opening set, was unable to maintain her momentum as Sabalenka adjusted her strategy. The No. 29 seed fought valiantly, but Sabalenka’s aggressive play and newfound focus proved too much to handle.

RELATED ARTICLE  UFC 305: Dricus du Plessis Defies the Odds Once Again, Submits Israel Adesanya to Retain Middleweight Title

Challenges of the Late-Night Schedule

The night session at Arthur Ashe Stadium was delayed significantly after Frances Tiafoe’s four-hour battle against Ben Shelton, which pushed back the start times for the following matches. With the new late-night match policy introduced this year, US Open officials had the option to move Sabalenka and Alexandrova’s match to another court if it hadn’t started by 11:15 p.m. However, tournament officials ultimately decided to keep the match on Ashe, a decision that paid off for fans who stayed to witness Sabalenka’s comeback.

Sabalenka admitted that while she preferred to stay on the iconic Arthur Ashe court, she would have liked to have played earlier in the evening. “It’s always a challenge when you start this late, but once I got going, I felt good,” she said.

As Sabalenka heads into her fourth-round match against No. 33 seed Elise Mertens, she remains confident despite the grueling late-night schedule. “I hope to get some good rest now,” Sabalenka joked after the match. “Technically, I did my practice session today, so I’m good for tomorrow, right?”

The match wasn’t the last of the night, as No. 4 seed Alexander Zverev followed with a victory over Tomas Martin Etcheverry, finishing at 2:35 a.m., further adding to the drama of an already memorable evening.

Grand Slam Title Aspirations: As the US Open moves into its second week, all eyes will be on Sabalenka to see if she can maintain her momentum and continue her quest for a first Grand Slam title at Flushing Meadows. Her resilience and ability to turn a match around under challenging conditions highlight why she’s one of the most exciting players to watch in the tournament.

Aryna Sabalenka’s historic late-night comeback underscores her status as a top contender for the US Open title. With her powerful baseline game and mental fortitude on display, Sabalenka has positioned herself as a force to reckon with in the tournament’s second week.

Stay tuned for more coverage and updates from the US Open as the action heats up in New York.

RELATED ARTICLE  Sports Roundup: Robert Helenius Banned for Two Years, Home Nations Fight for Euro 2025 Spots, and Major Transfers with Yoro to Manchester United and Morata to AC Milan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top