DIG walks Obaseki out of INEC office

Obaseki Forced Out of INEC Premises by DIG Frank Mba

Benin City – It was a dramatic scene at about 4:10 am when Governor Godwin Obaseki was forced out of the premises of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Benin by DIG Frank Mba.

Obaseki had entered the premises unannounced at around 2 am, allegedly to protest some anomalies in the collation of results of some local government areas, including his Oredo.

Officials of INEC were said to have informed him that he was not supposed to be there, just as the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Asue Ighodalo, had been sent back earlier. However, Obaseki reportedly insisted on staying.

At about 3 am, a combined team of policemen, led by DIG Frank Mba, and soldiers entered the premises. By 4:10 am, Obaseki was escorted out by security personnel, who were heard shouting, “Leave, leave.”

Minutes before Obaseki was escorted out, All Progressives Congress (APC) National Secretary, Surajudeen Basiru, addressed journalists, stating that the governor had no reason to be at the INEC premises.

Basiru remarked, “He is not a candidate. He has no reason to be here,” describing the governor’s actions as an abuse of office.

Earlier, members of the All Progressives Congress led by Monday Okpebholo’s running mate, Honourable Dennis Idahosa, led protesters to demand Governor Obaseki’s exit from the INEC premises at about 3:30 am on Sunday.

Idahosa, who was shouting from outside the gate, demanded that the governor leave, stating that Obaseki had no business being there.

He said, “Obaseki must come out. He is not supposed to be here. He is not an INEC staff. Nigeria Police should not compromise.”

RELATED ARTICLE  Benin Monarch Celebrates Return of Stolen Artifacts from Germany

The protesters tried multiple times to enter the INEC premises but were prevented from doing so, even after repeatedly banging on the gate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top